Instagram

Instagram Follow on Instagram

Yan Ping N. Road | 延平北路

Taipei Yan Ping N. Road  延平北路

As we make our way to Daodaocheng 大稻埕, a historic district of Taipei, you will pass through Yan Ping N. Rd Sec. 1 and 2, for sure. 

Taipei Yan Ping N. Road  延平北路

These streets are filled with hidden architectural gems, some of which seem to have been forgotten to time. 

Taipei Yan Ping N. Road  延平北路

One afternoon, after getting off of work early, I walked around the area to absorb and take as many pictures as much as I could. It was a great trip as I was walking carefreely around the city. I even ended up walking to Dihua St. 迪化街! It was really empty as it was a weekday. 

Taipei Yan Ping N. Road  延平北路

I started out near Daqiaotou 大橋頭 MRT Station and walking into the alleys. Here are some of the buildings and architecture I saw. I think there is a real chance some of these won't be standing here the next time I visit: 

Let's get started!


Yan Ping Presbyterian Church 延平基督教會

The Yan Ping Presbyterian Church 延平基督教會 was built during the Japanese era in 1937 and was renovated and renamed in 1957. The lovely European style architecture clashes with its red roofs. When I visited, the site wasn't open the visitors, but there was a sign saying that it is currently being restored. The site was declared a cultural heritage site a few years ago. 

Dadaocheng Presbyterian Church 台灣基督長老教會大稻埕教會

The Dadaocheng Presbyterian Church 大稻埕基督長老教會 was conceptualized in 1875 and completed in 1915. It is one of the 4 remaining churches that were built during the Japanese era. When I visited, the church still had Christmas decorations up, even though it was already January. 

This was one of the first chapels to be established in all of Taipei! It was set up by George Mackay, a missionary and a doctor from Canada. He mainly treated people for malaria and performed tooth extractions (for free!), while spreading the gospel. George Mackay set up numerous Western hospitals in northern Taiwan during his time in Taiwan. His hospitals still exist today and are called "Mackay Memorial Hospital."


Other Hidden Gems

Taipei Yan Ping N. Road  延平北路

Taipei Yan Ping N. Road  延平北路

Here are some old architectural remnants of hospitals and dental clinics I found during my walk in Yan Ping. 

It was a great way to spend the evening. I ended up walking for 2 hours! After finishing up my adventure for the day, I headed over to Taipei Main Station to take the MRT home. 

Make sure to follow us on Instagram @taiwanexplorer95 for more!  

Comments

Popular Posts