Instagram

Instagram Follow on Instagram

Perfect getaway from city life in Meinong | 美濃

Meinong 美濃

Meinong 美濃 - A place where I found peace and serenity. 

I fell in love with Meinong, located in Kaohsiung, the first time I visited. It wasn't too long afterward that I decided to visit for the second and third time. 

Meinong 美濃

Meinong is a traditional Hakka community, surrounded by expansive mountains and lush green fields, mainly rice paddy fields, which makes it a great place to cycle around in. 

Meinong 美濃

I visited Meinong Lake 美濃湖 and Meinong Hakka Cultural Museum 美濃客家文物館 (pictured above) where I learned quite a bit about the history of the district. Apparently, the tobacco industry used to be huge in Meinong back in the day; though it has since dwindled since its heydays in the '50s and '60s. 

Meinong 美濃

Meinong consists of many cultural places such as the Meinong East Gate Tower 瀰濃東門樓 and I hope to visit the next time around and the former Meinong Police Station 舊美濃警察分駐所 (pictured above) that was completed in 1902 when the Japanese were still in Taiwan. The police station has since been converted into a cultural and creative center.

Traditionally speaking, Hakka people live in houses called sanheyuans 三合院 that represent the unity of the family. Grandparents, parents, and children would all live under one roof. 

Meinong 美濃

With large bungalows and sanheyuans, life is quite laidback there in comparison to the rest of Kaohsiung. 

Meinong 美濃

I personally love the traditional look of the town, and I had a great time just walking around Meinong and capturing as many pictures as I could. 

I made sure to gorge on bantiao 粄條, flat rice noodles, a Hakka specialty. The restaurant was quite empty, probably because it was a weekday. For me personally, it tasted a bit bland, so I made sure to add some soy sauce and chili to change up the flavor. 

Meinong 美濃

Note that transportation to Meinong isn't that convenient. You can catch a bus from Kaohsiung City to get there, but if you want to get to the different tourist sites, driving your own car or scooter is recommended. 

Farewell Meinong, till we meet again. 

Make sure to follow us on Instagram @taiwanexplorer95 for more!

Comments

Popular Posts